[vdr] vdpau experience

Christian Tramnitz chris.ace at gmx.net
Mon Oct 26 12:05:55 CET 2009

Theunis Potgieter wrote:
> I reverted to older version of vdr-xineliboutput (20091013) where the
> channel becomes garbage (green blocks) after a while when cropping is
> enabled. I also see these green blocks when changing a channel. With
> vdpau, when using streamdev-client with a bad wifi connection, vdpau
> does not seem to get to correct it self gracefully like xxmc/xvmc+vlc
> video output driver of xineliboutput. It becomes so bad that I have to
> restart vdr-sxfe. vdpau doesn't seem to be production ready yet,
> because I had it run for 18 hours and... well not in my opinion, I
> will be reverting back to xxmc for now. This was all tested on SD
> channels.

To use the advantages of vdpau you don't necessarily need xineliboutput,
a lot of users have a better experience (especially stability) using the
vdr-xine-plugin.
Using the xine-post-plugins from xinelibout you have the best of both
worlds and can use cropping in combination with xine-ui.

There is a very good (but german) howto here:
http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=89920
I guess most of the steps are self-explaining, if not just ask in this
thread and I'm sure you'll also get help in english!

Best regards,
    Christian