[vdr] How to extract HD dvb subtitles (and possibly convert to srt)?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sat Dec 18 12:57:08 CET 2010

Al 15/12/10 18:28, En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
> I've a media player that only understand srt subtitles, so I'm looking
> for a way to extract the dvb subtitles from a vdr ts recording, and then
> use some kind of ocr to convert it to srt.
> I asked google and I came empty handed (many people asking the same
> question with no working answer).
> What I tried so far:
> - ProjectX (fails because it doesn't like hd pixel coordinates)
> - avidemux (it has a ts->srt option but it only allows pids up to to
> 255, and the lucky few that managed to make it work say that it doesn't
> work with hd)
> - mencoder -vobsubout (it just produces garbage instead of good
> pictures, at least according to subrip)
> Any other option?

I found how to do it but it's way too cumbersom:

the cvs version of ProjectX supports HD subtitles, *but* the sup
exported subtitles aren't readable neither by suprip  (not subrip!) nor
by BDSup2Sub, so I additionally export to sub format and use BDSup2Sub
to convert it to a valid sup, that can then be processed by suprip.

Both ProjectX and BDSup2Sup, being java programs, work under Linux, but
suprip is windows only.