[vdr] Recommendation for new hd vdr system.

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Sat Jan 2 23:14:22 CET 2010

> dto :-)
> zotac-A; Dual Core Atom, 32GB-SSD
>
> And over Christmas I managed to make it completely noiseless by
> installing a Accelero S1 cooler !!!
>  http://www.schwanthalercomputer.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=accelero+S1&x=0&y=0
> The mounting is somewhat unorthodox, but took me less than an hour to install.
> If someone is interested I try to put some photos somewhere.

A pic showing how you have connected it to zotac would indeed be
interesting.

> Now temperature stays below 60°C even with high load (h264 decoding or heli-X
> 3D simulation).
>
>> I have a similar kind of passive cooled zotac that you put in your links
>> but found out that without any cooling it's temperature get still pretty
>> hight 60-65 celcius.
>
> Is this a single core? Do you have any other fan (power supply, case)?
> My experience was, that without any cooling the temperature kept rising. I
> stopped the experiment above 80°C when temperature was still rising even in
> idle desktop (ubuntu koala). Same with one core disabled on startup with
> maxcpus.

Yes, the mine is also a dual core. I was following the temperatures sofar
only from bios settings where it shows both the cpu and gpu. But for me it
used to stay near to 65 without cooling. (I was however always booting to
bios to check it)

> I used to use the board with the original cooler slowed down with a simple
> poti until recently. Much more silent with almost no change in temperatures
> compared to full speed cooling (below 40°C),

I do not have a pc shop near to buy these poti's so I was planning to
try to solder couple of resistors. From internet I also found that it
could be easy to just switch couple of wires to slow down from 12w to 7w.

> All temperatures are from GPU since I don`t have patched the kernel and don't
> know how to access cpu temperature without that effort. But since they are
> connected thermally there should not be a big difference.

Mandriva 2.6.31 kernels reports temp also incorrectly, I think I read
somewhere that 2.6.32 kernels should have that fixed. Have not tried
myself though.