[vdr] RfC: add encryption and compression to VDR

Christian Tramnitz chris.ace at gmx.net
Sat Nov 13 11:57:41 CET 2010

Am 13.11.2010 11:23, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> However, my suggestion would be to implement authentication, encryption
> and compression as an externel "layer". Much like a proxy, which offers
> a secure port to the outside world, and internally connects to the
> standard SVDRP interface of VDR. That way, all security relevant code
> would be separate from VDR (it's a video recorder, not "Fort Knox" ;-)
> and anyone going through that gateway could make full use of all SVDRP
> commands, including those implemented by plugins.

I also thought about this but this doesn't solve:
- limitation to single SVDRP connection only
- (complete) epg data access rather slow
- high cpu load during intensive SVDRP operations

(The last one should be no offense and I'm only putting together what
I've got as feedback so far and found in the vdrwiki)

I tend to agree with Dieter (and a few comments in vdrportal)... what
the live-plugin currently does is about the fastest method of data
transfer we could possibly have, so why not build on this?
@Dieter: I haven't looked at the live internals in too much detail, for
what part is tntnet being used and would we need to reuse this for the
xml-http/JSON idea? tntnet and boost are not really common or
light-weight, is there a simpler solution for that?

In regards to the proxy solution I completely agree with Klaus, but I
don't want to reinvent the wheel either, so when taking into
consideration Dieter's suggestion to create an universal xml-http or
JSON interface this could be easily (reverse) proxied using existing
solutions such as apache/mod_proxy (with the authentication part done by
apache).

Best regards,
    Christian