[vdr] Question to --edit mode

Gero geronimo013 at gmx.de
Sun Sep 12 13:40:09 CEST 2010

Hello,

I tried the usage of vdr with the --edit parameter and the habbit of vdr looks
a bit strange to me:

When i use only the --edit parameter, vdr will fail and the log claims, that
the given recording is not found below the default video-dir
(/var/lib/video.00).

When I use vdr with a video-dir not contained in the path of the recording,
the same happens.

So to cut a recording, I need to use --edit='/path/to/recording' and -v path
(with path being a part of '/path/to/recording') which I think is quite a bit
of redundant.

What about the situation, where the recording is on a read-only mounted drive
and the video-dir given by -v option is the path to a local writable
directory? Is it really necessary, that source-recording and target-recording
are on the same path?

Is it very expensive to support different write location than the read
location?

kind regards

Gero