[vdr] vdr <-> vdr-xine <-> xine-lib and vdpau and HD recordings

Joerg Riechardt J.Riechardt at gmx.de
Thu Mar 31 17:27:40 CEST 2011

I have a problem with skipping during a replay of a HD recording.
Running xine --verbose=2 I see after pressing the yellow button (skip
+60 sec) lots of
video_out: throwing away image with pts xxxxxxx because it's too old
(diff : yyyyy)
This is for a few seconds or forever, depending on system load, and
causes 100% Cpu, and spoils recordings on my slow system. On faster
systems you will hardly notice this.
If I patch cDvbPlayer::SkipSeconds with
-       readIndex = Index - 1; // Action() will first increment it!
+       readIndex = Index; // Index - 1 causes problems in xine
I no longer get those „throwing away image“ messages and the Cpu peak is
only short and not that high.

This happens also for starting a replay and for resuming replay after
fast forward, but for those I have no vdr patch.

I would very much appreciate if somebody with deeper knowledge of the
interplay between vdr <-> vdr-xine <-> xine-lib would look into and
comment on this.

You find more information at

Without patch the video plugin gets loaded first, the audio plugin second.
With patch the video plugin gets loaded second, the audio plugin first.
Don´t know if that is important.