[vdr] Wanted VDR xineliboutput client

brian Brian_Dorling at t-online.de
Mon Oct 17 09:39:20 CEST 2011

On 10/16/2011 03:09 PM, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Le dimanche 16 octobre 2011 à 14:02 +0300, JJussi a écrit :
>> Any suggestions for small, powerful, quiet, FullHD   VDR client?
>> So, I search machine what would act as VDR-client, using xineliboutput
>> with FullHD resolution and machine would have DVI or HDMI connection +
>> optical audio.
>>
>> Of course remote control is needed too! ;-)
> If you also want to remain 100% free on the software side, I'd suggest a
> mini-ITX Core i3 (SandyBridge) motherboard + PicoPSU power supply:
> * small : Mini-ITX + reasonable CPU fansink is not that huge
> * powerful : even a Core i3 2100 is powerful enough (cpufreq is almost
> always at 1,6GHz, with 4% CPU while decoding SD video ; 2,1GHz / 17% HD
> video ; I'm not sure which decoding pipe is actually used)
> * FullHD : Intel video is really good, with 100% free drivers
> * xineliboutput : I only have an issue with HUD OSD at the moment, and
> tearing, but I'm sure the situation will improve very quickly with
> drivers
> * DVI, HDMI, optical : choose the motherboard you prefer
> * power consumption : too bad my UPS battery died a few days ago, as
> it's not able to tell the actual load of my server now. I previously
> estimated it at 31,5W idle / 67,2W full CPU load (micro-ATX board, Core
> i3 2100, 2×2TB Western Digital Green, no DVB device at the moment)
> * remote control : some (if not all) Intel motherboards have Consumer IR
> connector, with open drivers, cheap eBay IR receivers, capable of
> powering on the PC
>
> That's for the PC-side of things, with a few dozen millions useless
> transistors. Embedded gizmos are much more integrated, simple,
> efficient, etc. but always lack the little thing you really need/want,
> or are a bit difficult to work with.

Looks good. Any chance of underclocking, and getting it totally silent?

BTW. I'm looking for the same sort of thing, no idea yet what software I
would use, but it would only be a remote VDR "client" for me. To get away
from modulating the signal onto the existing cable I want to add some
small clients if possible. The main VDR would stay in the cellar where
it is now.

Cheers