[vdr] ERROR: video data stream broken

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Tue Sep 20 08:41:49 CEST 2011

> As much as I like the EPG scan, I usually have it turned off because
> I think the driver gets rather unstable when VDR often switches
> channels and maybe hits transponders that don't carry any signal.
> What's especially unstable is the CAM situation. I have two CAMs
> in my VDR (connected to budget cards) and quite often the connection
> to the CAMs is lost, to a point where not even a CAM reset (from the
> Setup/CAM menu) helps any more. I have to pull the CAM, wait a few seconds
> and then insert it again. When the driver is in such an unstable state,
> a recording on that device will usually fail, and VDR performs an
> "emergency exit".

I have also a pay-tv card and I am seeing a similar kind of problems
with one finish pay-tv channel (Nelonen Pro). Quite often that channel
seems to freeze about every 5 min. In such a cases the channel is
watchable only after vdr is restarted. (either vdr crasher or emergeny
exit itself)

I have found out that I can speed up the vdr restart in this way:
  1) switch to other channel in different frequency (either in dvb-t in
same card or dvb-s in other dvb card)
  2) switch back to problematic channel --> vdr will either emergency
exit or die
  3) Once runvdr script restarts vdr, the channel is again watchable and
works for a couple of minutes just fine

I do not know whether the signal quality is causing the problems or are
there differences in the data send.
- channels from finish MTV3 works always without problems, while the
problematic channels are from finish Sanoma Oy.
- working channels from MTV3 seems to have better signal quality than
the problematic channels from Nelonen...
(They are in different muxes and I live about 90 km from the nearest tv
base station link)

There are however also a days when even the nelonen pro works just fine.
(for example vdr restarted itself every 5 min when I watched finish
baseball final on sunday but on the same evening the eurobean champ
basketball final showed up just fine.)

Mika