[vdr] Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

Manuel Reimer manuel.reimer at gmx.de
Sun Apr 8 09:48:24 CEST 2012

Udo Richter wrote:
> My suggestion:
> Allow to keep the default CACHEDIR and RESDIR un-set (empty), and if
> --cachedir or --resdir is not present, default to whatever --video and
> --config is actually set to. That way, the package builder can decide
> whether to set CACHEDIR and RESDIR or not, and if they're set, he has to
> make sure that the startup scripts get modified to support --cachedir
> and --resdir if necessary.
>
> For an extra, an explicit --cachedir="" and --resdir="" could also
> override an explicit CACHEDIR and RESDIR and revert to duplicating
> --video and --config.

It is difficult to read your description (and no, I didn't understand it). How
would you want to document this in a way, someone actually understands it?

If someone updates from 1.6 to an (upcoming) 2.0, then two new parameters to VDR
won't be his only problem, so I vote against bloating the VDR sourcecode just to
add some difficult logic on how and when directories are set by compile
parameters or VDR parameters.

Yours

Manuel