[vdr] SoftHDDevice

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:59:37 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM, fnu <vdr at auktion.hostingkunde.de> wrote:
> Dudes,
>
> did set up a basic VDR on Ubuntu Precise yesterday and it did work as expected.
>
> Install a minimal Ubuntu from alternate installer, add "apt-get install xorg nvidia-current", VDR e.g. from our yaVDR PPA (ppa:yavdr/unstable-vdr, ppa:yavdr/main) incl. vdr-plugin-softhddevice and you're almost done. SoftHDDevice does start with this basic Xorg from Ubuntu repository, no additional WM like openbox, fluxbox, lightdm etc. needed.

I've been testing softhddevice basically since I first saw this
thread. I never heard of softhddevice before that. So far it works
fairly well. There are a few issues to sort out (such as issues
ffw/rew h264 recordings, allowing users to set the color of the
non-video area *for plasma tv users, etc) but overall it's off to a
great start imo. Also, the issues I've found also existed and were
fixed in vdr-xine so I'm confident they could be fixed in softhddevice
as well.