Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Thu Mar 1 22:25:01 CET 2012

On 01.03.2012 22:17, VDR User wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Udo Richter<udo_richter at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Am 01.03.2012 07:03, schrieb VDR User:
>>> one option to spread
>>> the workload could be Klaus assigning different portions to different
>>> contributors that would like to work on it. If Klaus is clear about
>>> what he wants and is in good communication with other coders, perhaps
>>> it could become more of a team effort with Klaus as team captain..
>>
>> The number of Klaus per VDR has always been quite limited. A developer
>> team would surely speed things up, but I also understand that Klaus
>> prefers to keep all development in his own hands instead of delegating
>> and supervising. Letting 'his baby' off the hook isn't easy, and I would
>> understand if he prefers to keep it under control.
>
> I'm not talking about him releasing control of anything. I'm talking
> about people wanting&  willing to help develope, being assigned a code
> task and parameters. When the work is complete, Klaus reviews and
> either accepts/merges, or instructs the coder what needs to be
> changed. There's no reason for Klaus to release control of anything in
> this model. As long as there's a clear instruction of what he wants,
> and good communication along the way, I can't think of any good reason
> against it.
>
> In a sense this already happens, just on a smaller scale. VDR already
> contains non-Klaus code. Surely there's a middle ground where
> development can be assisted because in reality this doesn't need to
> take forever. Nobody expects it to be finished in a week, but it
> doesn't need to take forever either.

Guys, *please*! I stated earlier that I am currently concentrating
on making a stable version 2.0, and that I will see to make client/server
a priority *after* that. This discussion at the moment is rather distracting
for me, because I do read each posting but don't want to add to this
topic right now. I was hoping that, by saying I'll deal with client/server
after version 2.0, this topic could be put to rest for the moment.
Unfortunately the exact opposite has happened.
Another lession learned... ;-)

Klaus