[vdr] Theses Client/Server VDR
vdr at auktion.hostingkunde.de
Fri Mar 2 11:12:17 CET 2012
following the discussion regarding Client/Server the last couple of day, I'm
What I did realize where super complex ideas, hacks, bottomline a solution
from developers for developers. I got the imagination some want to keep out
normal users, inventing VDR to death, because only a few users are able to
Since Apple pretty much come with a TV solution this year, expectations of
users will change in terms of GUI & usability. And not only Apple, even
Ubuntu does invent in the same direction on their UbuntuTV.
There's no need to copy these solutions, but the need to be prepared to
these fast changing expectations. To think about the details of VDR, a good
and stable solution, which I love to use since over 10 years now.
I don't have any issues to run a complete VDR on Client and Server, the
binary is small, so what.
My dream of a Client/Server VDR solution is:
- 1+n VDRs do find themselfs seemless w/o user interaction within a network
- 1+n VDRs do elect/define a principle, which become the leader of the pack,
preferably that one with (the most) DVB devices
- The principle becomes the central point of VDR operation
- Timers set on whether Client/Server VDR, is handled by the principle
- Recordings are also handled centrally on the principle, the clients do
have seemless access to it
- It doesn't matter if the clients do have their own disks
- But if needed principle can use this addional disk space on clients and
each client does also have seemless access
- DVB devices can be added and removed dynamically to each of the VDRs, but
principle stay responsible for all DVB devices within network
- Plugins can be added/removed dynamically via OSD or a Web-Interface
- The VDR pack or rather the principle can be controlled/programmed by a
cloud service from all over the world.
- Setting up one of these VDRs may only be possible for experienced user,
but es soon as they're up and running, you're little children could hanle
Just my vision for a smart client/server VDR solution.
More information about the vdr