[vdr] Theses Client/Server VDR

Lars Hanisch dvb at flensrocker.de
Sat Mar 3 18:51:28 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 02.03.2012 11:12, schrieb fnu:
> Hi there,
>
> following the discussion regarding Client/Server the last couple of day, I'm
> honestly horrified.
>
> What I did realize where super complex ideas, hacks, bottomline a solution
> from developers for developers. I got the imagination some want to keep out
> normal users, inventing VDR to death, because only a few users are able to
> handle it.
>
> Since Apple pretty much come with a TV solution this year, expectations of
> users will change in terms of GUI&  usability. And not only Apple, even
> Ubuntu does invent in the same direction on their UbuntuTV.
>
> There's no need to copy these solutions, but the need to be prepared to
> these fast changing expectations. To think about the details of VDR, a good
> and stable solution, which I love to use since over 10 years now.
>
> I don't have any issues to run a complete VDR on Client and Server, the
> binary is small, so what.
>
> My dream of a Client/Server VDR solution is:
>
> - 1+n VDRs do find themselfs seemless w/o user interaction within a network
> - 1+n VDRs do elect/define a principle, which become the leader of the pack,
> preferably that one with (the most) DVB devices

  Since automatism may be wrong (same number of devices in each vdr or whatever), a simple priority numbering scheme of
the vdrs should be possible. Something like: "This is my main vdr (priority 100), this vdr has priority 50 etc."
  I think this could be handled by every user and it can be easily configured via OSD. :)

Lars.