[vdr] EEPG (was Re: Channel 4 HD on Freesat)

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Tue Mar 13 16:11:44 CET 2012

On 13.03.2012 14:44, Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:55:06 +0100
> Klaus Schmidinger<Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de>  wrote:
>
>> On 12.03.2012 23:01, Tony Houghton wrote:
>>> I do have to restart VDR every few days
>>> anyway, because it has a memory leak. Disabling eepg didn't fix that
>>> IIRC, and the leak hides from valgrind.
>>
>> Which version of VDR are you using?
>> Are you sure this is caused by the core VDR code, or could this
>> be one of the plugins or patches you are using (if any)?
>> I'm asking because I don't see an ever increasing memory footprint
>> on my VDR.
>
> No, I haven't seen anybody else complain about this either. It's been
> happening to me for quite a long time, for several versions. I use the
> Debian packages. I thought it could be the eepg plugin but disabling
> that didn't seem to fix the leak. I also use xineliboutput and remote
> plugins, but I've been using those for years, before the leak started.
>
> At one point it stopped leaking and I realised I'd messed up my
> channels.conf so either all the DVB-T or all the DVB-S channels were
> broken and the leak came back when I fixed that. I think I tried
> reproducing similar conditions but for some reason I didn't make an
> effort to record or remember the results! I should repeat that and make
> notes, but it takes about a day on each run before I can be reasonably
> sure whether it's leaking or not.

Can you give me an estimate of the rate at which memory is consumed?
Maybe you could have a shell running the command

   top -b -d 600 | grep -w vdr

for a while and see whether the numbers increase. This will show a line like

   27558 kls       20   0  206m  49m 3860 S    2  2.5   0:33.44 vdr

every ten minutes, where "206m" and "49m" are the relevant columns.

Klaus