[linux-dvb] mplex loses sound

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > I just tried to remux a recording I made a few days ago
 > (and which had some audio glitches). So I did
 >
 >   mplex -t MPEG2 -o 001.vdr 001.vdr.x
 >
 > where '001.vdr.x' was my original recording. The resulting
 > file started to replay just fine, but after about one minute
 > the audio suddenly disappeared and never came back, even if I
 > fast-forwarded all the way through the recording.
 >
 > The same thing happens if I replay the recording with 'cat',
 > which rules out a problem in VDR.
 >
 > Could this be a bug in 'mplex'?
 >
 > Klaus
If the input file has a real audio glitch, i.e. an error that comes
from bad reception, mplex cannot multiplex the streams. Have a look at
the results from the audio stream analysis. If there are only a few
frames than mplex stumbled over a currupt frame. The easiets way to
test if the audio stream is corrupted, is to use es_demux to get the
audio ES and then use mpg123 to test, if the audio stream is ok.

If the audio stream is not corrupted tell me, because then I have some
work to do.

Maybe this should also be put into the FAQ.

Does anybody know a tool to repair MPEG streams, so that mplex may
swallow the stream?

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de