[linux-dvb] Re: Using a low-budget card as a secondary card.

uups, sorry for sending the question first only to Carsten and now to
all - after the answer.

Michael:
> > Additional question: Are there any problems with (audio/video)
> > dropouts/dirstortions, or would i really get the same quality in all
> > recordings as when watching TV directly via DVB?

Carsten:
> I am already seeing frequent audio distortions and (very rare) video
> distortions with my current DVB-S card. Also see Benjamin's post at
>     http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/msg03734.html
> so I would be surprised if that would not become worse when
> recording several channels simultaneously.

I thought of one recording mainly, but that`s a good point. What
data-rate can the interface of the budget card do?

I have the DVB-S, and I´m seeing these distortions too. Video got much
better, but i have heavy audio dropout (as mentiond by others before).
As far as i understood this subject, the problem is the badly muxed
stream produced by the DVB-s, while the original TS-stream is/can be
muxed well. Did i misundersand Marcus?

> > Macrus Metzlers mail (19.2.01 "Re: Umwandeln") suggests this:
> > >Otherwise you would just record the TS stream and also get all the other nice information
> > >like teletext, EPG etc. in one nicely muxed stream. (If you have a
> > >Haupauge Nova than you can get this)

So my hope was to get rid of these distortions by buying an additional
budget card.

If you (Ralph/Klaus?) could at least confirm that there are good chances
of vdr working (api?) and loosing the dropouts, maybe i`d risk the money
and give it a try.

Greetings
     Michael

---