[linux-dvb] Re: Will VIDEOTEXT be supported by VDR?

Joerg Schoeppe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about building such VDR system.
>
> Currently we (my family) use VIDEOTEXT heavily.  AFAIK
> VIDEOTEXT is currently not supported by VDR.  At the moment
> we've a simple analog receiver and use the Sony TV for decoding
> the VIDETEXT.  This has some disadvantages.  If the channel
> is switch, and I looked at page 101 on the old channel the new
> channel also shows the old contents of page 101.  I have to switch
> to page 102 and back to 101 to force a reload.
> Most of the times I have to wait till a Page is loaded.  I can
> imaging of a system where the pages are stored on disk and displayed
> immediately.  Is/will this be possible?

With the current version of the driver and VDR teletext is re-inserted
into the video output, so you should be able to use TT just like
you did with the analog receiver. I believe somebody is working on
making TT available directly inside VDR, but right now there is no such
feature yet.

> I also read about additional features of digital broadcasting.  The
> Broadcasting Companies are talking about Info channels with actual
> news, weather forcast, etc.  I'm not shure if these can be seen by
> VDR?  Or is for that "Open TV" needed?

That may be beyond the capabilities of VDR, since it might require
more graphics.

> Next question whould be, is it possible to set up an "easy of use"
> internet access for browsing/email.  All should be usable by my
> whole family (icluding my parents and my children, but the children
> are the smaller issue).  So the most important point is "easy of use".

That might also require more graphics capabilities than the DVB card's
OSD can provide.

Klaus