[linux-dvb] Re: Questions about new API

Dave Chapman wrote:

> However, if I try to do something else - e.g. mixing video and audio pids for
> different channels, or just setting the audio pid (i.e. a radio station),
> then things go wrong.  i.e. I am getting perfect audio and (if set) video on
> my TV, but /dev/ost/dvr never provides me with any audio information.
>
> Have you experienced similar problems?  I'm using quite an old driver (0.8.2
> with the "n-tv patch" applied) and am testing on the Astra 28E satellite.

The Siemens hardware does not provide a filtered TS as required by
the API, so the driver has to remux the audio and video ES in software.
I guess it assumes that audio and video share a common PCR
(i.e. belong to the same PS), and the driver is not intelligent
enough to recognize that in your case tying to resync audio
and video is futile.

If there's audio only, it should work (but I heard it
doesn't: driver bug). You can get an audio only ES from
/dev/ost/audio.

> I guess it's time for me to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel...

The most current driver from CVS requires >= 2.4.1 because
it relies on some defines in the kernel's i2c-core module
(older drivers had their own i2c-core).

Regards,
Johannes

---