[linux-dvb] Re: about firmware

Sorry,  I formuled the question wrong. Do you know if Nokia in the alliance
with linuxtv
intend to offer such a firmware. Or their intended linux DVB set top box is
supposed to have an embedded cam? I mention viaccess because I think they
already have viaccess license for their standalone box.

So they do not  have to pay extra money for it. (same descrambler chip isn't
it?) As a plus they do not violate the viaccess patent as far they are
offering the firmware and not the source code. As we know only the reverse
engineering  of it is considered a fraud. If Nokia give us the firmware as
is, there is no fraud.

Thank You

Dan

> Theoretically, yes, but one would need to have a license to do
> that. The hardware has the capability, you would only need to attach
> some kind of smartcard reader.
> AFAIK, we are not planning to do that for this card. I could also
> imagine that such a license would cost some money, so even if we would
> implement it, we would have to have a way to get those costs back.
>
> Marcus

> Dr. Marcus Metzler
> mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
> mocm@convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de