[linux-dvb] AW: storage of video on CD

Hi Ron,
I use the mpegtools fomr the DVB-Driver Package to demux the VDR-Files
to individual audio and video streams and remultiplex them. Right now I
had no time to create one large file from all .vdr as to be one .m2v and
.mp2 on my Windows NTFS share. You can then feed the video to ReMPEG or
remultiplex audio and video and feed the resulting mpeg. With ReMPEG
ships a file named sample.cffl or somethin like that. In there you can
place several files to be used together (for me 001.vdr.mpg to
00x.vdr.mpg).
First it starts with some analysing of the content. Don't throw away the
final file, you can will need it if you want to reprocess with other
parameters. Than you are able to set the options. Don't check the little
box to limit the bitrate. ReMPEG seems to hate that and produces less
perfect videos. My default is somethin of about 2200 - 2500 kbps, as my
DVD-Player also acepts SVCDs with up to 3000 kbps. Best results are
achived without any resizing. So you don't need to resize the video to
480 in width, as it should also work for 720 pixel wide.

Next thing I would like to do is to cut off is the "garbage" frames
before the first GOP. Would be perfect to see this in VDR. Most
programms have problems to work with such a stream.

You can also try MPEG2MPEG, that can be found ad the Website of Doom9.
It comes with sources, sou you can easily enhance this one. It is also
capable of transcoding from MPEG2 / MPEG1 to OpenDivX with very good
quality when resampled to 352x288 (at 11 fps on my PIII-633). At higher
resolutions the effect of interlaced frames is to strong. So only
original framesize seems to be ok. I have no expierience with
MPEG-Sources at resolution of 480x576. As MPEG2MPEG sounds very
promising, I will create a Linux port. So older movies could be reduced
in quality first before they are deleted.
For me this would be a good solution as my wife records a lot of series,
but has not the time to watch them. After several weeks she prefers to
watch them all at once and quality is not such an important issue.

So long,

J.-O. Todamm

P.S.: If somebody wants to volunteer for this transcoding project, you
are welcome.

---