[linux-dvb] Re: AW: Why compress a VDR movie again ?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:16:22 +0200, Axel Gruber <axelgruber2@gmx.de>
wrote:

> I have now 4*60GB in my VDR and aditional 2*80GB in my Server attached with a 100MBIT LAN.

Are you using NFS?
Does this work without problems?
Is it possible to record multiple concurrent streams via network?

> I think this is a good idea !
> But - the new CD-Format from Toshiba is 3*CD = 2 GB - and the Price for the Medium and the Drive should also be as low as the aktual CD-Writers.
>
> DVD-R or DVD RW is sure a good idea - but i donīt think that the Medium is so cheap :-(
>
> DVD-R Devices should be start at 2000 DM - thatīs ok - but if a Disk will cost 30 DM - thatīs too much...

I also thought about such solutions. But a 80 GB Maxtor costs currently
about 7.5 DM/GB. This is cheaper than most random access backup media.
If you count the high drive costs in a Maxtor is much cheaper.
The same is true with tape backup. As the capacity of the tapes for
already compressed data is only half as large than the compressed
specified the costs of media are also very high. They are slightly lower
than harddisks costs, but if you count in the drive costs you have to
write a lot of tapes until you arrive at the current cost of hd. And
with hd you have the great advantage of having everything online.

The only alternative I see in the near future are the higher capacity CD
drives if the media doesn't cost much more than 5 DM. They should
provide enough space for one movie converted to MPEG4.

Emil

---