[linux-dvb] Re: can't get tuxview/gVideo to work

Hi Udo!

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:12:10PM +0200, Udo Weber wrote:
> Environment:
> Linux Mandrake release 8.0 (Cooker) for i586
> Kernel 2.4.2-20mdk on an i686
> XFree86-4.0.3-1mdk
> siemens_dvb-0.8.2

I've got a bit older environment (end of february), but else
similar software (Kernel 2.4.1, XFree-4.0.2, 0.8.2). I'm not
happy to hear that even with more current version on a
completely different platform this problem happens :-(

> all seems compiled and installed fine (see end of this email)
> I also have some expirences on the old Mandrake 7.2 (no problems)

Same here.

> [root@wotan /root]# gdb /usr/local/bin/tuxview core
> Core was generated by `tuxview'.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.0...done.
> #0  gtvscreen_set_values (gtv=0x0, val_type=1, value=0x1) at
> gtvscreen2.c:1101
> 1101                    old = gtv->CAP_ON;
> (gdb) where
> #0  gtvscreen_set_values (gtv=0x0, val_type=1, value=0x1) at
> gtvscreen2.c:1101
> #1  0x0804ef1b in init_graphics (dev=-1, bpp=0, norm=0, remote=0,
> onoff=1,
>     channel=0) at interface2.cc:173
> #2  0x0804e52c in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff8fc) at tuxview.cc:128
> #3  0x403790de in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb)

I did not start debugging with gdb, so I don't know if it's the
same problem here. Do you use gtk+-1.2.9 ? Anyway I ask myself
why gtv=0 and access is done to a NULL-Pointer obviously ?
You could try yourself testing gtv for 0 and return FALSE if yes.

> now dmesg is running endless with following error:
> [root@wotan /root]# dmesg
> record buffer full
> .... and so on

Yes this effect happened for me, too. Also if you connect an
external monitor or TV, you should be able to view TV with
tuxzap. Scanning works for me too, but only if I did not start
tuxzap (and quit it again) before.

> Has anyone experiences on this new distributions (new kernel, new X,
> ...) and got the dvb-stuff to work ?

What hardware do you use ? I'm using an AMD K6-2 450 which sometimes
troubled me in the past concerning RPM gcc option. But I suppose this
should not be a problem in this case.

I hope that this problem really is only an unchecked NULL pointer.

Best regards,

Reinhard Katzmann
--
E-Mail: reinhard@suamor.de
New GnuPG Public Key available on request

-- Type: application/pgp-signature

---