[linux-dvb] Re: Error behaviour: not sync'ed

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> Suggestion:
> Every recording in progress/to come next(soon) should be listed
> in the OSD so each can be killed/delayed "not now" manually and
> -more important- the user has a hint what is going on if he can't zapp
> anymore.

I agree that the fact that vdr gives you no feedback as to why
you cannot switch channels when all cards are recording is
a real trap - at least I got confused by it more than once.

I believe that software should never silently ignore a command
from the user.
Klaus, what do you think? Should vdr not at least say something
like "cannot switch channels - recording"?

I also have a suggestion in this context: As an example, on
a system with two cards, it is quite often the case that two
recordings overlap a little, like this:

Secondary Card      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Primary Card                        YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Of course, this is really bad, as I cannot switch channels now
during the entire Y-time, even though most of the time one card
is available. What I would prefer is the following behaviour:

Secondary Card      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Primary Card                        Y

in other words, vdr should switch the recording to the secondary
card as soon as it becomes available.

Is this a good idea that should get implemented?

> The card is connected, but the wrong voltage is on the wire...

Buy a twin LNB. Should be cheaper and create a better result
than the programming time required to improve this.  ;-)

Carsten.