[linux-dvb] Re: PMT pid

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

> My question is connected to the PMT PID. MPEG-2 allows several services (programs) to have the same PMT PID, since the services have
> unique numbers ('program_number' in PMT), every 'TS_program_map_section' describing a service.
>
> On Hotbird, 12111/V/27500 services #717 and #730 share the same PMT PID 1040. But alas, there is only one section and it seems to
> *change* in time, sometime you get the program map for service #717 and sometime for #730. All this while keeping version_number the
> same!!!
>
> I think this is some kind against MPEG-2 standard.

No, it's not. ISO 13818-1 says about the PMT:

  "It may be segmented to occupy multiple sections. In each section,
  the section number field shall be set to zero. Sections are
  identified by the program_number field."

IOW, the PMT is segmented into sub tables, with table_id_extended =
program_number.

The concept of sub tables is explained e.g. in ETSI technical
recommendation ETR 211.

Regards,
Johannes