[linux-dvb] Re: Impove Speed at entering RECORDIGNGS-MENU

Axel Gruber wrote:
> I think the problem is that VDR scann the whole /video0 and all links to /video1...3 every time you enter to the Recordings-Menu.
>
> My question: Is there any solution for this problem ?

Yes, vdr basically executes a
   find /video -type d ...
command to find all recordings directory.
Depending on the status of your cache, this can take
a while or can be very fast.
Try doing that command manually several times quickly.
You will notice that it takes a lot longer the first
time, because the kernel caches the information.
After a pause, it will take longer again, because that
memory is used for file buffers and other things.

I do not know of a decent way to reserve the cache memory.
If course, you can define a cron job that runs the find
command once a minute. In order to keep
the system load taken by this low, you may want to run
   nice -19 find ...
instead of running find at normal priority.

Carsten.