[linux-dvb] time shift with only one card?

Marton, Walter writes:
 > Hello to all,
 >
 > many thanks to all of you, sharing your knovledge
 > and time to serve us all.
 > Please excuse me, if my question appears stupid:
 >
 > for those of us, who are not convinced to
 > spend more money for a second card, but
 > having fast machine (e.g. P3 at 600MHz) or
 > prefering to spend the money for a faster machine,
 > could it be possible to do the record with the
 > DVB-card, and the "play" on software?
 > AFAIK, there are some players on linux also
 > avoilable - is it possible to bind one on the DVR
 > and enable this way time shifted TV-watching?

It should be possible to use software replay. As Steve Brown wrote
recently on this list:
 > I didn't use ntuxzap, rather a utility cobbled together from test_front. It
 > filters an audio and video stream and writes it to a file. I had to prepend
 > a PAT and PMT to get the ts files to play with vlc and xine's new ts code.
 >
 > The ps files produced by the mpegtools/mplex utility played with vlc and
 > xine.
 >
 > A while ago, I hacked vlc to input directly from the Nova card. This also
 > worked.
 >
 > Steve

If Steve could make his hacks available we could try to write a patch
for either xine or vlc that would add something like an option to play
directly from the /dev/ost/dvr device. We won't need to create a PAT
and PMT, if we do it right. I haven't had a look at the inner workings
of xine or vlc, but it should be possible to work something out. Maybe
even add a button that switches to DVB playback.
Most of the stuff needed to manipulate the stream to fit the
requirements of the software decoders is already in mpegtools.
So if someone knows what is to be done to get a DVB option in any of
the software decoders, I would be happy to help with the driver side
of such a project. It would just take me a lot more time if I had to
learn the workings of those players. If there is a simple kind of
plugin like interface for any of the players it would be much easier
to write something that would facilitate DVB playback.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm@convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de