[linux-dvb] time shift with only one card?

Hello to all,

many thanks to all of you, sharing your knovledge
and time to serve us all.
Please excuse me, if my question appears stupid:

for those of us, who are not convinced to
spend more money for a second card, but
having fast machine (e.g. P3 at 600MHz) or
prefering to spend the money for a faster machine,
could it be possible to do the record with the
DVB-card, and the "play" on software?
AFAIK, there are some players on linux also
avoilable - is it possible to bind one on the DVR
and enable this way time shifted TV-watching?

thanks
W.Marton