[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver patch for VDR

Hi guys, how about a constructive discussion?

Klaus refers to VDR when he says:

> without the patch VDR can't display still pictures

and when he says:

> with the patch it can

So I guess we should look at the corresponding part of
the VDR source text and find out what has changed there
and in the driver between the time when that part of VDR
worked without a driver patch and now.

I am not sure to which piece of software Ralph refers
when he says:

> without the patch I can display still pictures

and when he says:

> with the patch it can't.

But I am sure that we could also take a look at that
piece of software and find out why it does display
still pictures without the patch and not with it.

In any event, I do not think that this is a matter
of opinions, but of specifications.

I would assume that there is an API specification
that says how to do it right?
If Klaus' code conforms with this specification, this
is a driver bug and it should be fixed in the driver.
Maybe not with Klaus' patch, if that breaks other
programs that also conform with the specification.

If Klaus' code does not conform with the specification,
this is a VDR bug and it should be fixed in VDR.

I would also expect that the driver ioctl returns a
meningful error code if any request is made that
does not conform with the specification.
If that is not the case, that should also be fixed.
Otherwise it will be much harder to debug an application
program that inadvertendly does not conform with the
specification.

Carsten.