[linux-dvb] Re: why emergency exit on channel switching problems ?

Jörg Wiedenfeld wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
> I recognize that vdr do an emergency exit after it takes
> no data from the driver.
> That is a good idea for the worse case, I think.
> But when taking a record on a second card, the stop is annoying.
> On my machine vdr has only problems after channel switching.
> When I notice a black screen after channel switching,
> I switch to another channel an back and the world is good.
> Do you thing it is possible to integrate this workaround,
> so vdr maybe don?t need to exit after doing a record with
> no signal after channel switching.

As far as I see this VDR only performs an emergency exit if the channel
switching doesn't work *before* starting a recording. Do you really
observe exits *after* ending a recording??

Since loading the driver newly when channel switching doesn't work
always leads to a successful recording (at least that's what I have been
observing in the past) I believe this is the way it should be.

The optimal solution would be if channel switching would finally work
more reliably. Since it always works after reloading the driver I can't
see where I could change something in VDR to improve this. Maybe the driver
developers can point out what VDR is doing wrong in cDvbApi::SetChannel()?
The strange thing is that channel switching works fine for a while, but then
(especially in the EIT scanner, which switches every 20 seconds, but also
sometimes when the user switches channels) suddenly becomes more and more
failing, until almost every attemt to switch a channel fails. After a driver
reload it works fine again. In the meantime I also can rule out a heat
problem because I have installed an additional fan directly above the DVB cards,
so they are now cooled extremely good. And the temperature also wouldn't change
too much while reloading the driver, I guess.

Klaus