[linux-dvb] Re: Software playback (again)

Hi,

> The following _should_ work in theory, but doesn't in practice:
>
> dumprtp | ts2ps APID VPID | mplayer -
>
> This gives very "jumpy" playback and lots of "libmpeg2" errors.

jumpy picture is ok, as mplayer has no input media caching code yet.
you may try TOOLS/cache.c, piping data through it. it was made for
playback over nfs/samba network, but should work for such pipes too.
there is also new code TOOLS/cache2.c, it will be integrated to mplayer,
but it needs some structural chanegs in steraming layer first.

but libmpeg2 errors are strange, it happens only if video stream is damaged!
maybe my mpeg demuxer is broken, and it doesn't handle the case if read()
actually reads less bytes than requested. i'll check this.
(btw it worked with http streaming of mpeg files)

> Has anyone actually managed to get a software player to perform good quality,
> _synchronised_ playback?
you can correct a-v desync with + - keys in mplayer (0.1s steps), or -delay
commandline option. it shouldn't happen except when your soundcard driver
reports buffer status (ioctl GET_ODELAY) wrong.

> My experience is that mplayer is the easiest mpeg player to get working (i.e.
> it has the least "strange" dependencies), and it seems to be able to work
> with DVB transport streams - if they are converted to ps first.
I made my own ts2ps converter some months ago, and it was planned to
include into mplayer, but i forget. I'll recheck and integrate.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
mailto:arpi@thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu