[linux-dvb] Software playback (again)

Hello,

Firstly, thanks to Marcus for adding a new "ts2es" utility to his mpegtools
today.  It is now part of the current driver CVS.

For any users of my dvbstream program, you can now playback audio streams
with the following command:

dumprtp | ts2es APID | mpg123 -

The same also works for video elementary streams.  e.g.

dumprtp | ts2es VPID | mplayer -

You can even run multiple copies of dumprtp on the same machine - thereby
getting unsynchronised A/V playback by simultaneously running both of the
above commands.

The closest I have been able to get to live, synchronised, software playback
is using mplayer as follows:

dumprtp | ts2ps APID VPID > temp.ps &
mplayer temp.ps

This gives excellent quality video and sound (on my dual 1GHz P3 machine),
but the sound is still (very) slightly out of sync - and obviously this
creates a huge temporary file.

The following _should_ work in theory, but doesn't in practice:

dumprtp | ts2ps APID VPID | mplayer -

This gives very "jumpy" playback and lots of "libmpeg2" errors.

Has anyone actually managed to get a software player to perform good quality,
_synchronised_ playback?

My experience is that mplayer is the easiest mpeg player to get working (i.e.
it has the least "strange" dependencies), and it seems to be able to work
with DVB transport streams - if they are converted to ps first.

Regards,

Dave.