[linux-dvb] Re: Power key

Am 06.09.2001, schrieb Usenet-372110@zocki.toppoint.de (Rainer Zocholl)

> If the box would have more timers running, then the power key
> would never be accepted, because always a record will be in
> the near future.

Well.. that's the way it is. VDRs main purpose is to record that stuff.
If you just want to look, get a normal receiver instead.

> (I of cause have an "emergency" exit in command.conf, but
> how to explain my room service guy the (s)he has to turn on the
> TV, scroll thru menu in the case my videorecorder blocks the
> plug (s)he needs for the hoover and do not react on the poweroff
> key? ;-)

What?? How can you... TV/VCR/Hifi-Plugs are normally hidden behind
furniture and never pulled out. If you don't have enough spare plugs for
a vacuum-cleaner, you should shoot your architect or at least sue him for
wrong planning :-)

> The MinEventTimeOut is not allowed to block the
> RC-Power Key (I think there is the problem). It's the explicit
> wish of the user to turn the device off, so turn it off :-).

Completely disagree!! It's the explicit wish of (another) user to record
that program. If I program a timer I normally know what I'm doing and I
don't care (and VDR shouldn't care as well) if another family-member
thinks about turning of the VDR.

> A running record must give a warning, but can't disable
> the power key. (It's user's wish! It's his fault, he has been warned.
> )

My recording-wish is more important than any other users wish to turn the
machine of. And if (as you write) the TV is off and he/she can't view the
warning it MUST stay on and record.
Don't get me wrong... but I still believe that VDR is made for recording
and not for shutting down. If you really want to give
mama/papa/wife/children a way to explicitly shut it down.. make your
emergency-exit hot-keyable (put a number in front, e.g. 9) and tell them
to press "menu-7-9" (or menu-6-9 if you don't have DVD compiled).

But of course I second your wish for more status-display on-screen when
something is blocked. I repeatedly had broken records because the second
card was recording and so my brother could not switch to encrypted
channels.. first he used my "restart VDR"-command several times and as
that did not work, he used "reboot computer", which both resulted in lots
of small new *.vdr-files. A warning "can't switch, decoder blocked by
recording" would have been helpful...

Greetings,   Marcus