[linux-dvb] Re: tech questions

Hi,

> Arpi writes:
>  >
>  > If limiting packet size (so using PS instead of PES) to 32k or 2048 bytes,
>  > I got shorter playback time, hangup comes earlier.
>  > Without limiting packet size (real PES), got about 20-30 mins of playback
>  > before hang.
>
> The driver send PES of size 2048 bytes or smaller to the firmware. So an
> optimal PES size would be 2048 bytes (including header) or smaller. Of
> course, you would want to start a frame at the beginning of a PES, so
> that the PES before that is usually smaller than 2048 bytes, but
> that's ok. You don't have to use padding. Other PES sizes should be ok
> too, the driver repacks the PES, but it can only make them smaller.

Hmm, good to know... I thought the driver puts anything to card's buffer,
and the card handle any size of packets.

Changed my PES packetizer to create 2048 byte packets _including_ headers,
and it seems to work better now. At least my favourite stream which hanged
after 12 sec still playing (over 5 mins).

Maybe a memleak or other overflow in the driver's re-packetizer?
(I'm using siemens_dvb-0.9-20010822.tar.gz from linuxtv.org with a
Galaxis card, rev 1.3)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
mailto:arpi@thot.banki.hu