[linux-dvb] Siemens DVB-C won't display video

Chris Worley writes:
 > I had this Siemens DVB-C card working well under 0.8.2.
 >
 > I've been upgrading the OS and driver with latest (up to this
 > morning's) CVS versions for the past two months, and the Hauppauge
 > DVB-S card works fine, but not the Siemens DVB-C.

Cable support did "suffer" a little in the move to a new tuner API last
week. Please use the 0.9.3 snapshot until this is resolved.

But earlier 0.9.x versions should work fine.

 > The output usually looks like:
 >
 >    Cumulative bit errors 10485750,
 >    Signal to noise ratio: 21250000,
 >    Signal strength: 69
 >
 > The SNR is always constant (not a clue what the value means), the BER
 > is fairly constant (sometimes the number dips down, then returns; I'm
 > guessing this is totally bogus).  The signal strength bounces between

That's one of the things which are broken.

 > 0 and ~70.  It's usually 69, and the symbol rate is 6.9e6 -- probably
 > just coincidence.
 >

 > The driver frequently reloads the firmware.  This does display on the
 > screen (a full screen multi-colored herring bone pattern followed by
 > the Convergence copyright, which slides off the bottom of the screen).
 >   The reload usually occurs when I haven't changed the PIDs for
 > awhile, then happens right as I'm changing them.

That's probably the MPEG2 decoder hanging up because it gets strange
data. The lock information for DVB-C is interpreted falsely
in current CVS. This could lead to the PIDs being enabled although
there is no signal lock.

Again, this should not happen with older drivers (before last weekend).

 > Up until about two weeks ago, the latest CVS sync would allow me to
 > fetch good SI data, but it was acting strangely: the amount of SI data
 > I was getting would be a function of the previously set video/audio
 > pids (getting SI data off PID 0 would be a function of freq/srate, but

Yes, that's really strange.

 > not other active PIDs)!  With a current CVS sync, I'm not getting any
 > SI data back at all, from any PID.

Ralph