[linux-dvb] Re: DivX on DVB with MPlayer - new list!

Arpi writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > >  > I've just commited the new mpegpes/dvb driver of MPlayer.
 > >  > It's able to play any YV12 25fps video via the DVB card, for
 > >  > example DivX/Mpeg4/MJpeg avi/asf and non-standard mpeg movies!
 > >  > For details, read DOCS/DVB in mplayer CVS.
 > >
 > > It should also work with NTSC formats, i.e. 29.9 and 30 fps. There had
 > > been some trouble with older drivers, but the latest ones can play
 > > more formats. You would need an NTSC capable TV, though.
 > I have PAL TV only, so I concentrated to playback on it. MPlayer will
 > convert/resampel video to 25fps to be viewable on PAL TV.
 >
 > What are the currently supported resolutions on PAL TV?
 > I've tried many non-standard mpegs with CVS driver, but i could play
 > less than with aug-22 version. For most files I got black image
 > (I got flickering image with aug-22 drivers).

We haven't tested much with PAL because most (actually all) examples
we have for non standard resolutions are NTSC.

 > > If you are using the DVB API than this should not only work on the DVB
 > I'm using the ioctl()s (it is the API, right?), not libDVB.
 > (my code is based on test_av.c from driver's test dir)
 >
 > > cards, but also on other cards using the API. I will test it with the
 > > Margi PCMCIA DVD card tomorrow. The Margi even supports more MPEG
 > > formats, as does the EM8400, but we can't publish those drivers
 > > (stupid NDA).
 > Ok.
 >
 > Btw I have a technical question:
 > Is it possible (may requires API extension) to get the number of
 > current visible frame? (or num. of frames waiting in the buffer).
 > I need it for proper A-V sync when audio is played on soundcard,
 > not DVB card. (my card has broken, no audio at all, so i'm using
 > sblive soundcard for audio playback. but it is usefull for example
 > for ac3 decoder cards or other purposes)

That is not so easy to do. Most cards have an extra microcode which
handles the buffer and synching itself. And even if you can get
information about it. The answer to a user space request may be too
slow.

 > If it isn't possible, then I have another idea to fix:
 > Does the card use a fixed length buffer for video/pes stream?
 > Then I can assume it is full and calculate how many frames are
 > waiting there. (I have to save frame sizes in my code, but it
 > isn't big problem)

The buffers for the DVB card is constant. For some other cards it
could depend on the incoming stream (I might have to do that for Margi,
but that one can play AC3 anyway).

Marcus