[linux-dvb] dvb module parameters and more

 Hi,

 I am trying to unify the build and setup of the DVB drivers for use
with multiple DVB-IP providers and Digital TV.

 I use siemens-0.8.2 because I can't upgrade to 2.4 kernel yet (other
drivers are not yet supported) and 0.9 won't compile with syntax errors.
(odd, but deffered for the moment).
 My system is a Slackware 7.0, with glibc 2.1.3 and kernel 2.2.19.

 Trying to figure out the parameters for the modules, I came across some
variables I can't really figure out. Maybe some of you can, please, help
me: (correct me and fill in the blanks)

i2c_core.o:
 debug=1 print debugging information

videodev.o: ?

saa7146_core.o:
 mode=0(PAL), 1(NTSC)
 buffers=2(double buffering), 4(more buffers for high performance
capture.
 debug - debugging levels

saa7146_v4l.o:
 debug=1 print debugging information

VES1893.o:
 debug - debugging levels

VES1820.o:
 debug - debugging levels

dmxdev.o: ?

dvb_demux.o: ?

dvb.o:
 debug=1 print debugging information
 fdebug ?????
 vidmem ????? (allocate memory for video what? buffers? what units does
it use?)
 vidlow ?????
 outstream ?????
 vidmode=CVBS_RGB_OUT (default). Analog output enabled (RCA connector on
back plate).
        =NO_OUT. disable analog output
	=CVBS_YC_OUT ???? (Y/C output on cards that have an S-Video connector
?)
	                  (Y/C output on internal on-board connector? If so,
what's the pinout?)
	                  (simultaneous with CVBS output on RCA connector)
	=YC_OUT	?????     (Only Y/C output, on what connector?)

??????? How do I enable the RGB outputs of the SkyStar 1 card ? (related
to this parameter?)

 napi=1 ???? (napi=new api?)
 init_chan=0 (default) show Pro7 on analog output when loading module.
Dish on Astra 1.
          =2           show n-tv on analog output when loading module.
Dish on Astra 1.
 why both predefined set to Astra 1?

tuner.o:
 debug=1 print debugging information
 type=-1 (default) tuner type. As defined in tuner.h
          Not sure how it is automatically selected for the existing
card.
 addr=0 (default)
          Not sure how this is automatically set.

in i2c.h:
I don't really understand when and how this is used.
/* This is the one you want to use in your own modules */
#define I2C_CLIENT_INSMOD \
  I2C_CLIENT_MODULE_PARM(probe, \
                      "List of adapter,address pairs to scan
additionally"); \
  I2C_CLIENT_MODULE_PARM(probe_range, \
                      "List of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples to
scan " \
                      "additionally"); \
  I2C_CLIENT_MODULE_PARM(ignore, \
                      "List of adapter,address pairs not to scan"); \
  I2C_CLIENT_MODULE_PARM(ignore_range, \
                      "List of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples not
to " \
                      "scan"); \
  I2C_CLIENT_MODULE_PARM(force, \
                      "List of adapter,address pairs to boldly assume "
\
                      "to be present"); \
  static struct i2c_client_address_data addr_data = \
                                       {normal_i2c, normal_i2c_range, \
                                        probe, probe_range, \
                                        ignore, ignore_range, \
                                        force}

msp3400.c is never refered to in the Makefile.
What cards exactly do use this audio chip ?

ost/src
--------
dvbdev.o
demux.o
dmx.o
video.o
audio.o
sec.o
frontend.o
ca.o
--------
None of them seem to need parameters.

makedev.napi :
mknod -m 0666 /dev/ost/ca2     c 249  1
device ca2 has MINOR=1 same as device ca1 while all other devices2 have
MINOR=2.
Is this a feature or a typo ?

dvb_ost.c seem to be rewritten into dvb.c. Is it needed anymore ?
dvb_comcode.h contains comments in german. Can someone help me translate
?

// Vereinbarung der Command/Message Codes und der Statusbits
// Verwendung im ARM  UND  im C++ Projekt

#define SECTION_IPMPE		0x0C	// bis zu 4k gro_
#define SECTION_HIGH_SPEED	0x1C	// vergr÷_erter Puffer fnr High Speed
Filter
#define DATA_PIPING_FLAG	0x20	// fnr Data Piping Filter

dvb_dpram4k.h contains comments in german. Can someone help me translate
?

/*	Definition der Speicherbereiche und Register des
	DPRAM (von PC aus gesehen) und des DRAM (am AV7110)
*/

Makefile contains rules to build the firmware but the files are missing.
Shouldn't these rules be removed from the distribution ?

ost/src/Makefile
test: test.o $(OBJS)
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -I../include -o test  $< $(OBJS)

This rule does not refer to any existing file.

ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1865
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei
Societatea Romana de Radiodifuziune