[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-t

At 00:45 07/03/02 +0000, you wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
> > Tim ODriscoll writes:
> >  >
> >  > Forgive the newbie question, but you mention a 'full' DVB-t card? I was
> >  > only aware of the one type, that receives free-to-air digital
> broadcasts.
> >  >
> >  > Is there another type, that perhaps can take one of the smart-cards to
> >  > receive pay channels in the UK?
> >  >

> > Full card refers to a card with MPEG decoder (i.e. av711x chip) on
> > board. Those also usually have a connector for a CI interface.
> > Although there seem to be new cards coming out which have no MPEG
> > decoder but do have a CI interface.
> > Since the British pay TV channels AFAIK don't use CI interfaces, you
> > probably won't see those in GB.
> >
> > Marcus
> >

>Thanks for clearing that up for me.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tim

The British terrestial pay TV uses SECA, so it should in principle be
possible to receive it if you had a "full" DVB-T card and an Aston CAM.
It's only the satellite TV service that doesn't use the standard CI interface.

But Hauppauge only sell the "budget" version of the DVB-T card, at least in
the UK, and this doesn't support a CAM. Can anyone tell us if it is
possible to get a "full" DVB-T card anywhere ? It the UK the only country
with an encrypted terrestial service ?

Alternatively you could wait a few weeks for ITV Digital to finally go
bankrupt. Then you won't need anything to receive them because there will
be nothing to receive.

John

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or
distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.
The views expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be the views of
The PCMS Group plc and should not be taken as authority to carry out any
instruction contained.