[linux-dvb] Re: What's the minor-shift (if there is one set)?

Aurelian Pop writes:
 > > Aurelian Pop writes:
 > >  > As you can see, the're a leap of 64 for every set in
 > the minor description.
 > >  > I have changed this file by adding another set (3)
 > using minors from 192 to 200, because I have currently 4
 > DVB-S on my box, and it works.
 > >  > My question is: can I modify this file so that I can
 > change this gap (in some cases it might be called a
 > minor-shift number) between the drivers, and if NOT, then it
 > means that we cannot use more than 4 DVB cards (>255!!!) on
 > the same machine (remember the DVB_NUM_DEVICES in dvbdev.h
 > is set to 16!) ???

Oops, you are right, that should be 4.
That would explain the errors you got.

 > I tried to change the values in dvbdev.h, but there are some
 > things I don't know why are like that...
 > The first thing will be why in the defines you can find the
 > devices 0, but for the demux there is the defines for 0 to
 > 3.... why?

Because there already is hardware around with at least 3
demultiplexers.

 > Basically I have now 3 dvb-t cards and 2 dvb-s cards in one
 > box and I cannot set the drivers to install the modules
 > properly...
 > The output from make insmod is:

See above, you get internal overflows because DVB_NUM_DEVICES
is 16 instead of 4.

The best solution would be to drop fixed minor numbers altogether and
only use devfs. The minor numbers only created a lot of headaches in
dvbdev.c for me and I would not mind getting rid of them.

I'll probably change to devfs only in the NEWSTRUCT branch.
So, who does not use devfs yet?

Ralph