[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-t

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Dave Chapman wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:43, John Green wrote:
> > I enquired about this to Hauppauge a few weeks ago and was offered a
> > full DVD-T card for something in the region of 250 GBP direct from them.
> >
> > They were at great pains to point out that this had not been officially
> > released and was not in consumer packaging.   I ended up buying a budget
> > version instead for 99 GBP.
>
> When Hauppauge launched the Nova-t card last September, they said that they
> hoped to release a full card capable of decoding the encrypted channels by
> Christmas (i.e 3 months ago).
>
> I guess this means that they haven't completely given up on the idea.  I
> guess the problem is the cost - the full card, plus CI, plus Seca CAM would
> cost between 300-400 GBP.
>
> I would be surprised if Hauppauge release a product at this price - but the
> components should be available from other suppliers.

What's the general opinion of using, say, two normal winTV cards' video-in
plugged into two set-top digital boxes. Then you could attach a little
microcontroller to the PC's COM port and wire it in just behind the IR
receiver in both the boxes to give you control thru' your COM port.

Perhaps then you could double up on the smart-card (what's the
proper name?) interface and plug that into another microcontroller,
enabling you to upload different card-id's aswell..

That would let you record a channel, plus watch another one at the same
time, with normal set-top boxes from competitive manufacturers.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers,

Tim
(Learning about PIC's :) )