[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie seeking answers.

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 18:30, Simon Williams wrote:

> The current plan is to use an SS40/SS50 motherboard and case (as soon as they are released. Info on these is available at
> http://www.viahardware.com/ss50preview.shtm or at http://www.shuttleonline.com/spec.php3?model=ss40 . Some kind of processor according to finiancial situation. Pioneer A03 dvd+rw drive. the only real problem I have is with selection of a suitable video in card.

Just so you have a choice, here is an alternative.  This case has no fan
so will probably be even more quiet than a standard video recorder.
http://www.signumdata.de/english/futureclient.htm It also only has 2 PCI
slots, but also has no Lan, although you could do that over USB.

The mobo supports s-video out which is nice ; ).

You have to be a little careful with this as not all cards are equal.
Something to do with linking the refresh times to the refresh of your
TV.  Have you ever tried the watching something on the SVideo out of a
card.  I have not yet, but I see some worrying mails.  I have seen
Radion bad, Matrox good mails on the Video for Linux lists

> The only real problem I can see with the above case/mobo combo is that it only has 2 pci slots so I'm very limited on upgrade options. As the onboard sound chip is not really going to do what I want then one of the pci slots is already reserved for a descent sound card with digital output.
>
> I have at my disposal 2 STB's. one NTL digital cable box @ home where the system will be used most and a ITV-digital box @ work where the system will spend some time as well. As much as I can work out all I need is an analogue card as both these boxes give out RF signals as well as their scart connections.

If they have SCART they have composite and probably RGB available.  A
card capturing this will be so many times better than RF.  There will
probably be no S-Video out on your STBs

This obviously is a very cheap option. Your suggestion of an Mpeg encoder card is an option I had not considered and one I will look into.

Once again, probably wants some kind of SVideo input.  You may want to
look at www.rgb2svideo.com

What interests me though is whether or not the VDR software will work with an mpeg/analogue card as I am not up to the job of rewriting the software to make it. If however I have to have a DVB card then so be it. I'll dig deep and get one.

The VDR software revolves around and requires a card with a hardware
MPEG decompression component, like a full featured DVB-T card that you
were asking about.  As far as I know it would not work without one.
There is an mplayer patch about, but I have no idea what it is for or if
it solves this.