[linux-dvb] Re: Simultaneous video streams

Montag, 18. März 2002 at 18:48 Stephen Davies wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Ralph Metzler wrote:

>> The Siemens DVB card (or any with AV7110) cannot do this. It cannot
>> handle the bandwidth for much more than one normal TV channel (max.
>> maybe 8-9 Mbit). If you want to record a complete transport stream get the
>> WinTV Nova (=Technotrend budget) card.
>>

> Hi Ralph,

> I have a DVB-T Nova.  I use it mostly to capture TV for playback later
> with mplayer.

> How would I go about capturing several different channels at once?  (That
> is, several pairs of PIDs).

> I don't think that the API can help with that - there's no way I can see
> that several processes can each open a device, request certain PIDs and
> then read them independently.

> Do I understand correctly that I will need to write a server process that
> gathers the union of all the pids desired and then demuxes them itself?

I never tried this myself, but isn't dvbstream (to be found at
www.linuxstb.org) offering a solution to that? IMHO it is possible to
distribute the complete TS via multicast and then let diffent clients
extract the pids they want to use?

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com