[linux-dvb] Re: Multicast-Networking with TT-budget card: frequent lockups

Donnerstag, 28. März 2002 at 01:56 Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Wolfgang Wershofen writes:
[...]
>  > Networking itself works excellent, but I have problems with frequent
>  > system lockups when the network-interface is up and running. Without
>  > dvb0_0 activated the system runs smooth and stable 24x7, but after
>  > starting dvb0_0 it freezes after a certain time even if I haven't
>  > used the interface.
>  >
[...]
> Do you get an Oops message from the kernel when this happens?

No, I don't. The system simply stops working. Only the reset button
brings it back to life.

> How long is "a certain time"?

I've not measured the time, but I estimate it to be between 45 and
90 Minutes.

> Does the same thing happen if you set the same section filters
> in an application without using the network device?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you give me some advice,
how to test that?

Let me tell you, what I do:
I wrote a small script, that does the make insmod, tunes to the right
frequency and sets the appropriate multicast pid with dvbtune -n. After
that it does ifconfig dvb0_0 and starts a proxy, which is needed to
receive the data from "T-DSL via Sat".
I configured the script to be run when invoking the network runlevels,
to have sat-access in some kind of stand-by-mode in conjunction with
ISDN dial-on-demand.
So when the script is run from the runlevel the system stops working
after some time, even without having accessed the dvb0_0 interface. If I
do not run the script everything works fine.

If you have any hints, who I could investigate any further, please let
me know.

--
Best regards
Wolfgang Wershofen                            mailto:wolfgang@wershofen.com