[linux-dvb] Problems playing LPCM audio

I am working on an application that plays PCM audio over the DVB card.

My first question is: Does the DVB card support mono playback?  For Stereo I
set the "channels" field of the LPCM header to "1".  Trying other values here
doesn't seem to set the decoder to mono.   This isn't a major problem (I can
always duplicate the data before sending it to the card), but it would be
nice to have a definitive answer.

My second problem concerns initialising the card for PCM audio playback.  I
am creating a PES stream and writing it to /dev/ost/audio, but this only
works with a newly loaded driver.  On running my program for a second time, I
just get silence.

What is the correct sequence of commands to initialise a card in an unknown
state for playing back of PCM audio?  Do I just need access to the
/dev/ost/audio device, or do I need to open and send commands to other
devices?  Is this possibly a bug in my PES stream?.

Regards,

Dave.