[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> of pay tv services. The LinuxDVB driver developers have made an
> enormous contribution to the Linux community by making the DVB driver
> available as an Open Source project. However, all these efforts may

I simply think that CAM manufacturers made an *incompatible* system with
open source: they used a security through obscurity model. This quickly
lead to pirate cards and hacked firmwares (nokia mediamaster, humax, and
now dvb cards etc etc).

> be endangered if we don't take that final step and make subscription
> tv possible under Linux. After all, if the driver is ever to be used
> in any commercial STB, it will HAVE to support CAMs - or am I missing
> something here?

you're surely right, but I still think the softcam patch brings a LOT
more users than any other feature of vdr/linux-dvb - maybe I'm wrong,
maybe not.

bye
as