[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

Hi Martin,

maybe my english is just too bad, but could it be possible that you didn't
answer any of the questions Klaus asked ???

Your answer sounds to me like it is from a politican. Much written but not
much told.

Stefan

I agree with you that it would be helpful for the LinuxTV project if
all CAMs were supported by the driver.

However, I am pretty sure that the lawyers of the content industry
consider watching pay tv using vdr *illegal*, because vdr users
theoretically could copy and redistribute their recorded movies.

In the near future, commercial STBs, whether they use Linux or not,
will not only have to support CAMs, but also the content protection
schemes which are currently standardized by the DVB project.

By definition of copyright law, a Linux box that ignores content
protection will be a "circumvention device". It is a bit similar to
DVD CSS: if you want to obtain the DVD logo for you player, you have
to licence CSS (which is broken).

Still I don't think that the LinuxTV project will be endangered if we
don't support every CAM or content protection system.

LinuxTV software is free software licensed under the GNU public
license. As long as it is not illegal to write software for computers
and distribute its source code under the GPL, we always can write the
software we need in order to filter the signals out of the noise
offered by most of the broadcasters.

yours

Martin
--
Martin Springer                        GPG Key-ID  1024D/23058565
Rosenthaler Str. 9                     ph/  +49 (0)30- 28 30 08 1

linux-dvb" as subject.