[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

Szymon Polom wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Quoting Marcus Kuba (marcus@kuba4u.de):
> > Am 14.04.2002 19:54:11, schrieb Martin Springer <dtv@camorra.org>:
>
> > So in the end you (convergence) will have to fix the CAM-support anyways. Or do I have to admit
> > that your company will never deliver a working driver to your customers who are willing to
> > produce linux-based STBs? Sorry for being a bit rude, but there are moments I wonder what your
> > company is doing. The only things I see is a driver and lots of projects on the web-site, but not a
> > single product available on the market. How do you earn money?
>
> www.linuxtv.org and what you see is one thing. Beside of that convergence
> has written around 1,116,832 lines of code (w/o www.linuxtv.org and
> www.directfb.org code) as an indenpendent software vendor and that code
> isn't available for the public. So what you see is a part of a significant
> larger project.
>
> Our LinuxTV operating system, which has been demonstrated on the IBC2000,
> CeBit 2001, IFA 2001, has been bought by a major German set-top-box manufacturer
> (Galaxis AG) at the IFA 2001 (see press release). Feel free to contact our
> sales department for precise release dates or visit us at one of the upcoming
> fairs and convince yourself :-).
>
> We do not have to fix CAM support for the TI AV771x in order to be
> successful. Most of the manufacturers all using next generation hardware,
> which we will support at our own. The majority of the low level driver work
> has to be done at new areas and working cam support for the TI AV771x has no
> real priority for us, because nobody is going to pay us for that work.
>
> The code is there. Take it, use it, enhance it!
>
> I hope this clears up a few things.
>
> Bye... Szymon.

Hello Szymon,

could it be that you forgot the <cynic>...</cynic> tags around "The code is there..."?
As we all know, the firmware code (which, as far as I see, is most likely the place
where CAM support is broken) is NOT freely available!

So still the only people who could at all do anything about this are the driver
developers (unless I'm missing something, in that case I would be grateful for
any hints where in the OPEN source part of the driver I should try to fix the
CAM support).

Klaus