[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

Marcus Kuba <marcus@kuba4u.de> writes:

> Why are you talking about the future of commercial projects when we
> were asking about a non- commercial project that's going on for more
> than two years now?

Because Klaus mentioned the use of our driver in commercial STBs.

[...]

> >LinuxTV software is free software licensed under the GNU public
> >license. As long as it is not illegal to write software for computers
> >and distribute its source code under the GPL, we always can write the
> >software we need in order to filter the signals out of the noise
> >offered by most of the broadcasters.
>
> What does that mean "in German"? If I wouldn't know better I could
> believe you are indirectly saying that we shall better use the
> softcam-stuff instead of waiting for a fixed CAM-support...

Don't understand me wrong. I would very much appreciate if the driver
developers could fix the CAM support.

But the crucial issue is not whether you can watch TV "legally" by
using a CAM or "illegally" by using a softcam.

The big question is if it will be illegal to write and distribute GNU
software like VDR which allows you decide on the way you watch tv by
controlling your set-top box.

Software like VDR undermines the business models ofmovie moguls like
Murdoch which rely on monitoring your behaviour and sending you
targeted advertising.

In an article for the Washington Post, Jack Valenti, the CEO of the
Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) postulated:

     Computer and video-device companies need to sit at the table with
     the movie industry. Together, in good-faith talks, they must
     agree on the ingredients for creating strong protection for
     copyrighted films and then swiftly implement that agreement to
     make it an Internet reality. Without concord, one option is left:
     Congress must step in to protect valuable creative works on the
     Net and thereby benefit consumers by giving them another choice
     for movie viewing.

Can you imagine Klaus and the driver developers sitting at the table
with Jack Valenti?

yours sincerely

Martin Springer
--
Martin Springer                        GPG Key-ID  1024D/23058565
Rosenthaler Str. 9                     ph/  +49 (0)30- 28 30 08 1