[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

Martin Springer wrote:

> Marcus Kuba <marcus@kuba4u.de> writes:
>
> > Why are you talking about the future of commercial projects when we
> > were asking about a non- commercial project that's going on for more
> > than two years now?
>
> Because Klaus mentioned the use of our driver in commercial STBs.
>
> [...]
>
> > >LinuxTV software is free software licensed under the GNU public
> > >license. As long as it is not illegal to write software for computers
> > >and distribute its source code under the GPL, we always can write the
> > >software we need in order to filter the signals out of the noise
> > >offered by most of the broadcasters.
> >
> > What does that mean "in German"? If I wouldn't know better I could
> > believe you are indirectly saying that we shall better use the
> > softcam-stuff instead of waiting for a fixed CAM-support...
>
> Don't understand me wrong. I would very much appreciate if the driver
> developers could fix the CAM support.
>
> But the crucial issue is not whether you can watch TV "legally" by
> using a CAM or "illegally" by using a softcam.
>
> The big question is if it will be illegal to write and distribute GNU
> software like VDR which allows you decide on the way you watch tv by
> controlling your set-top box.
>
> Software like VDR undermines the business models ofmovie moguls like
> Murdoch which rely on monitoring your behaviour and sending you
> targeted advertising.
>
> In an article for the Washington Post, Jack Valenti, the CEO of the
> Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) postulated:
>
>      Computer and video-device companies need to sit at the table with
>      the movie industry. Together, in good-faith talks, they must
>      agree on the ingredients for creating strong protection for
>      copyrighted films and then swiftly implement that agreement to
>      make it an Internet reality. Without concord, one option is left:
>      Congress must step in to protect valuable creative works on the
>      Net and thereby benefit consumers by giving them another choice
>      for movie viewing.
>
> Can you imagine Klaus and the driver developers sitting at the table
> with Jack Valenti?
>
> yours sincerely
>
> Martin Springer

There's an interesting statement on http://linuxtv.org

  TV is dead - this is LinuxTV

  Only the access to the source code of our future television sets will
  guarantee the independence of content and technology.

I believe that page was created by a guy named Martin Springer...

Klaus