[linux-dvb] Re: Choosing DVB-T card

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Martin Lillepuu wrote:

> One possible choice I have available here is Hauppauge Nova-T. Have I
> underestood correctly that I need second card eq. Nexus-S to get any output
> for usual TV watching? Could the full featured card be replaced with software
> player (eq. vdr, mplayer, xine)?

Hi,

It is certainly possible to use a Nova-T in conjunction with a software
decoder.  I use mplayer myself.  If you consider to do it this way you
should also get Dave Chapman's dvbstream and dvbtune.

There is even an advantage to using the Nova-T - you can grab more than
one channel off the same mux at the same time.

On the other hand - there's no neat "watch TV" application for the
Nova-T.  VDR requires a card with a TV output.  KVDR requires that too -
it uses the V4L interface on the card to overlay the video to the screen.

Steve