[linux-dvb] Re: Pinnacle PCTV Sat

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:05:49PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> > > I'm working on it. It works already, but needs to be integrated with
> > > the current dvb driver. I am currently waiting out for the completion
> > > of the structural changes in the NEWSTRUCT branch.
> >
> > Although sometimes it may appear otherwise, we are open
> > for suggestions and criticism regarding further
> > development of the drivers and the Linux DVB API.
> >
> > Especially I would like to encourage everyone who wrote
> > applications using the current API to take a close look at
> > NEWSTRUCT and the changes proposed by Holger Waechtler,
> > and voice their opinions.
>
> I just compiled the current NEWSTRUCT version, but when I wanted to do
> 'make insmod' I realized that the 'makedev.napi' script still creates
> the old device entries. Is it safe to simply replace "ost" with "dvb"
> in this file or is there more to it?

If you don't use devfs the device names don't matter, only
the major/minor numbers. If you've already changed your
sources to use /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 etc. you
can change makedev.napi to create matching devices.
Otherwise just leave it as is, and pay attention to
changed ioctls in the API header files.

I don't know if NEWSTRUCT is in good shape at the moment,
since Holger's frontend API changes are still pending, and
"make insmod" does not account for devfs systems (which
don't need to run makedev.napi). In other words it is
too early to use it, but the right time to comment on it if
you want to influence the driver development.

The NEWSTRUCT branch contains a common source tree for multiple
drivers, currently av7110, margi and em8300. The new structure
features some internal changes whose goal is to make it easier
to add support for other hardware in the future, without
having to copy code (the margi driver formerly was a separate
code tree). Hopefully the PCTV driver will fit in here nicely.

If you see problems with the changes we made in the NEWSTRUCT
branch or in Holger's proposed frontend changes, we would
be happy to know.

Regards,
Johannes